Why Bloggers Need To Be Like Spongebob
You read it right.
And yes, I’ve been watching too much Spongebob Squarepants lately.
What can I say?
I’ve got two teens and two preschoolers in the house and they all bump heads and start screaming for mom.
Followed by complaints. Complaints I can’t understand cause they’re all yelling at the same time.
Damian stole my book. Sabrina won’t share the sofa. Natasha took my train. Vanessa won’t let me change the channel.
And you’ve got to hear all of it while you’re cooking dinner.
See why I burn dinner so often?
Or why I forget and throw salt into the pot twice?
But that hasn’t happened in two weeks.
Why? Cause every afternoon when I head into the kitchen to cook, I tune the TV to Spongebob and for 90 minutes the four of ‘em sit there mesmerized.
I did have some concerns after the first week of this little experiment. While I was cooking, I could hear the preschoolers chanting All Hail Plankton from the family room. Mentioned it to hubby and he said the wisest thing he’s ever said (other than will you marry me).
“Just be grateful they’re not chanting mommy”.
My hubby? Brilliant I tell you.
And if you’re ready to scroll down to the comments section to gripe about me allowing my kids to watch something as brain cell burning as Spongebob Squarepants, sistah, you can kiss my ass.
I need to have my sanity too and if Spongebob can help me get it, he can come on over for dinner every night. Slimy snail and all.
And honestly, I don’t mind the kids brains going to mush for an hour. These kids spend most of the day learning. That’s hard work no matter what age you are. Some vegetation time for them is similar to any adult turning on the boob tube after a long day at work.
But let’s move on to why bloggers need to Be Like Spongebob.
As enjoyable as blogging is, once you get sucked in and decide to make it a permanent part of your life, it’s a hard road to travel.
Its easy to give up within the first few months. There are road maps out there, but nothing specifically tailored to what we may dream up our blog should be. This causes discouragement, but in my humble opinion, if we were more like Spongebob, we could make it.
- Spongebob is relentless. He commits to something, he keeps at it with single minded focus. Whether it’s his goal to be the best fry cook ever or his need to get Squidward to play a game with him or his dream of getting his boating license, Spongebob keeps trying. He doesn’t see his small beginning as a hindrance, he doesn’t take no for an answer and even though he’s not the greatest driver, he keeps going knowing one day he’ll make it.
- Spongebob is optimistic. He always sees the silver lining. He believes anything is possible.
- Spongebob is brave. Though some may say he should be named Spongebob Scaredypants, he’ll step out of his comfort zone to prove his point. There was an episode where Sandy, the underwater squirrel dared Spongebob and company to head on up to dry land. He was afraid, yes, but he did it. True he was pecked at by seagulls afterwards, but he still did it and came back wiser. There’s also the episode where he and Patrick headed into the ring against wrestlers 10 times there size. He was scared to compete with pros but he didn’t give up.
- Spongebob is kind. He’s always willing to help someone out and gives them his best.
- Spongebob is friendly. Always happy to make a new friend. He’s the social butterfly of Bikini Bottom.
If us bloggers were
- relentless in our pursuits,
- optimistic even when are traffic is low,
- brave enough to put ourselves out there against bloggers who have bigger audiences and have been blogging longer,
- willing to give of ourselves by helping others,
- and really took the time to network and know our audience,
we could kick ass at blogging.
Now I plan on being more like Spongebob this New Year. I need to get more personal with my network and be relentless in pursuing my goals of building more exposure for this blog.
How about you? Do you find any of Spongebob’s traits admiring? Can you see where being relentless, optimistic, brave, kind or friendly can help you ROCK YOUR BLOG in 2013? Can you Be Kick Ass Like Spongebob? I hear he’s got Moves Like Jagger.